I love the seamless transfer that happens between my laptop, iPhone, and tablets. We are used to be being connected to all of our devices, including our tablets, phones, and, yes, our televisions. Smart TVs have plenty of options for connecting to all kinds of devices including headphones, speakers, and smartphones. If you have a Smart TV or are considering one, you might be wondering…. Do Smart TVs have Bluetooth?
Many modern smart TVs are equipped with Bluetooth. For example, Sony, LG, Hisense, and Samsung all produce smart TVs that have Bluetooth capabilities. Many smart TVs that aren’t equipped with Bluetooth will work with a Bluetooth Transmitter. Then you can connect headphones, speakers, hearing aids, and smartphones if they are also Bluetooth capable.
This article will take an in-depth look at whether or not smart TVs have Bluetooth capabilities. Then, we’ll talk about which TVs have Bluetooth already built in and how you can tell if yours has it. We’ll also talk about how you might be able to add Bluetooth capabilities to your existing TV if it doesn’t have it already. But first, let’s take a quick look at what Bluetooth is and why you might want it for your tv.
What Is Bluetooth?
To put it simply, Bluetooth is a wireless technology that lets devices talk to each other over short distances using low-power radio signals. Typically, Bluetooth devices can only connect at a maximum distance of about 30 feet. If there are walls or obstacles between the devices, this number may be much less.
If you want to use Bluetooth, all of the devices you are pairing must have Bluetooth technology to work together. Often, you can only pair your item, such as your headphones or speaker, with one other device at a time, such as your laptop, phone, or television.
For example, if your TV is Bluetooth capable, you could connect your Bluetooth headphones using the pairing screen. However, you might not be able to pair your headphones to your smart phone at the same time as you are using it with your tv. You’ll have to turn the tv off, or unpair it, to use your headphones with your smart phone.
Why Do You Want Bluetooth on Your TV?
There are a lot of reason you night want to use Bluetooth with your television. If your TV has Bluetooth, it will be able to connect with your smartphone, tablet, or another device. On the other hand, most remote controls use infrared technology to connect to the TV, and most smartphones don’t have that. So if you want to use your iPhone as a remote, you’ll probably need a tv that uses Bluetooth or at least a Wifi signal.
If your tv has Bluetooth capability, you could also pair wireless headphones or speakers with it for a better listening experience. In addition, you might want to connect a wireless keyboard or mouse with your smart tv to make it easier to navigate the menus.
If someone in your home is hard of hearing and uses a Bluetooth hearing aid, it has the potential of being able to pair directly with your Bluetooth tv. This means they can stream the sound right into their ears so they don’t have to turn up the volume on the tv.
And on the other hand, if your smart TV allows you to download apps, you could also use it to connect Bluetooth-enabled exercise equipment, such as a bicycle smart trainer or a rowing machine, so that you can use fitness apps on your tv.
Which Smart TVs Have Bluetooth Built In?
Plenty of smart TVs come with Bluetooth technology already built in.
Many Samsung Smart TVs are Bluetooth capable. In fact, Samsung states on its website that if your tv comes with a smart remote, then it is Bluetooth Capable. In addition, Samsung suggests that you can pair your Bluetooth TV with headphones, speakers, smart remotes, Bluetooth gamepads, and Bluetooth-enabled hearing aids. Some of the Bluetooth enabled Smart TVs by Samsung include:
- Samsung’s Series 8 and 9
- Frame, Serif, Sero, and Terrace
- Q60T, Q70T, Q80T, Q90T, and others
Sony first began introducing Bluetooth with its smart TVs as early as 2017. By 2021, all standard Sony smart TVs are Bluetooth equipped. You might find Bluetooth on some of these models:
- 2017: XBRA1E, X850E, X930E, X940E, and X050E
- 2018: XBR A8F, A8F, X780F, X830F, the updated X850F, the updated X900F, and Z9F
- 2019: Series including XBR A8G, and A9G, X850G, X950G, and Z9F
- 2020 Series including the XBR Z9H, Z8H, A8H, and A9S
Other brands of TV that include Bluetooth:
With all of the possible TVs that have Bluetooth, how can you tell if yours does?
How Can I Tell If My TV has Bluetooth?
Many new smart TVs are Bluetooth capable, so if you have a smart tv, chances are, you can already use it with Bluetooth. However, there are a few ways to figure it out if you don’t already know.
- Check the Box. If you still have your tv box, or you are looking for a new tv, look on the box for the Bluetooth symbol. This should tell you whether or not the tv you just purchased or are going to purchase has Bluetooth capability.
- Look in your user manual. The user manual for your tv should tell you if it is Bluetooth capable. It may list all of the tv models in that line that have Bluetooth, and then you can look and see what model tv you have.
- Look in the TV menu. Another way to check if your tv is Bluetooth capable is to look in the tv menu and attempt to pair the tv with a Bluetooth device, such as your phone. If Bluetooth does not appear in the settings menu or if it appears and does not pair, then you most likely do not have Bluetooth.
- Check the remote. If your television remotes works via Bluetooth, such as many of the Samsung smart TVs, then your tv must have Bluetooth to accommodate the remote control. For example, if your Samsung TV has a smart remote, it will have Bluetooth capabilities. There may be an indicator on your remote, as well.
- Look for the Bluetooth symbol. If your tv is Bluetooth enabled, it may have a Bluetooth logo on the remote or the tv, telling you this is a Bluetooth tv.
If you are looking for a new tv and want to find one that has Bluetooth capabilities, you can visit any major electronics website and use the search function to filter out TVs that are Bluetooth enabled. If you already have a TV, and it doesn’t have Bluetooth already, you might be able to add it.
How to Give a Smart TV Bluetooth Capabilities
All is not lost if your smart tv does not have Bluetooth because you might be able to harness your device’s Bluetooth capabilities some other way.
- Bluetooth Transmitter. You may be familiar with a Bluetooth transmitter for your car that allows you to broadcast your cellphone’s music over your car’s radio. A Bluetooth transmitter for a tv or computer works in the same manner. According to Samsung, you can easily purchase a Bluetooth transmitter for your smart tv. You will likely need one that fits into a headphone jack or possibly a USB port, depending on the ports available on your television.
- Apple tv. If your tv doesn’t have Bluetooth but it has an HDMI input, you might be able to use your Apple TV. Apple TV uses a Bluetooth remote. If you are accessing your tv through the apple tv, you can pair your Bluetooth headphones or speakers with your apple tv and even your smartphone.
- Roku. Many Roku devices are also Bluetooth enabled. You can connect your smartphone and Bluetooth headphones to your Roku. You could also stream your Roku content to your smartphone and connect your speakers or hearing aid to your smartphone via Bluetooth.
Final Thoughts on Using Bluetooth with Smart TVs
Bluetooth isn’t a necessary part of a Smart TV, but it is an excellent tool to have. If you are in the market for a TV, you might want to consider choosing one that is Bluetooth enabled. Or you may want to add Bluetooth to your current TV so that you can connect your speakers, headphones, and other devices for seamless integration.
Do Smart TVs Use Bluetooth for Headphones?
Yes, if your Smart TV has Bluetooth capabilities, you can use it to connect Bluetooth-enabled headphones. First, you’ll need to go to settings and look for the pairing menu. Then, you’ll need to put the headphones into pairing mode and start the process using the tv remote. Just follow the prompts to connect. You might not be able to connect more than one set of headphones at a time.
Can I stream videos to my phone using Bluetooth?
Yes. You can use screen mirroring to view videos on your phone through Bluetooth. Just make sure your phone is paired to your tv, and then select the mirroring mode.
What other devices can I connect to my TV with Bluetooth?
You can connect many different types of devices to your television using Bluetooth. However, both the tv and the device must be Bluetooth capable. Some of these devices are:
- Headphones and earbuds
- Hearing aids
- Sound bars and speakers
- Game controllers
- Google Home Device