Peloton bikes surged to stardom when gyms all over the country had to shut down. With so many Peloton bikes kicking into gear, it is only natural that there would be a few hiccups here and there, such as software updates and technical issues. But if your Peloton bike doesn’t turn on, don’t get frustrated and push it over a cliff; it’s probably an easy fix.
If your Peloton bike or bike+ won’t turn on, you need to check all of the power connections. First, make sure the monitor is plugged in and that the bike is plugged in both at the back of the bike and into your wall receptacle. If this still doesn’t correct the problem, you may need a new power cable.
In this article, we’ll talk about what to do if your Peloton bike or bike+ won’t turn on. We’ll also take a look at how to turn your bike on for the first time and how to wake it up when it is sleeping. But first, let’s take a quick look at what a Peloton Bike and Bike+ actually are.
What are the Peloton Bike and Bike+?
Peloton makes a variety of at-home workout equipment. For example, the Peloton Bike and Bike+ are two stationary bikes with attached video screens. With a Peloton subscription, you can use the screen to access a large library of spin classes and workouts.
There are two different bikes in the Peloton lineup. The standard bike and the Bike+. The bikes are similar, but the Bike+ has a larger, rotating screen with more speakers, and the resistance on the bike+ changes automatically. In contrast, the user must change the resistance on the standard model.
When you get your Peloton bike setup, the first thing you need to do is power it on.
How Do You Turn on the Peloton Bike for the First Time?
Turning on your Peloton bike for the first time is pretty simple. The Peloton bike comes with a standard 10 foot, three-prong plug, which will work in most home’s electrical outlets. If you need to place the bike further away from an outlet, you can use a three-prong extension cord.
- First, plug the power cord into the back of the bike.
- Second, plug the power cord into the wall.
- Locate the power button on the upper backside of the video monitor.
- Press and hold the button for a few seconds until the screen powers on.
- From there, you can select your Wifi network and enter your password so you can continue setting up your Peloton account.
How Do You Wake Up the Peloton Touch Screen when It Is Sleeping?
If you don’t use your Peloton for 20 minutes, it will go to sleep. To wake it up, all you have to do is push the power button again and it will turn back on. If there are any pending software updates, it may take several minutes for the Peloton software to load and boot up, so make sure you plan accordingly in case you have to wait for the bike to finish updating before you can begin your workout.
What Should You Do If You Can’t Turn on Your Peloton Bike?
The number one reason your Peloton bike doesn’t turn on is an issue with the power cord. Sometimes, the connections can come loose due to the vibrations from pedaling or if you’ve moved your bike. As a result, you’ll need to check and make sure that the Peloton bike is plugged in correctly at all of its ports.
- First, check to see that the cord is pushed all the way into the receptacle on the bike.
- Next, follow the cord and make sure it is plugged into the wall outlet correctly.
- Check the back of the monitor to see if the cord is plugged in correctly there.
- Once you have checked all of these connections, find the power button on the back of the monitor and hold it in for a few seconds. After that, your Peloton bike should power on.
If it doesn’t, you’ll need to make sure that your electrical outlet is working correctly. In addition, you may need to check your fusebox or circuit breaker, the powerstrip that your Peloton bike is plugged into, and if the extension cord is good if you are using one.
What Should You Do if You Can’t Turn on Your Peloton Bike+?
If your Bike+ doesn’t turn on, the connections you need to check are mostly the same as the standard model.
- Make sure the power cord is plugged into the back of the bike.
- Then, make sure the power cord is plugged into the wall.
- You’ll also need to check and see if the monitor is plugged in correctly. In the case of the Bike+, the monitor uses a USBC for power.
If you have tried checking all of the power ports on your Peloton bike or bike+ and the power still won’t come on, you may have a defective power cord. You can order a new cord from Peloton to replace the problematic one. You might also be able to purchase a third-party power adaptor if needed.
Check the Resistance Module Connections on Your Peloton Bike
Underneath the middle of the bike is where the resistance module plugs into the bike via USB ports. There will be two ports on the left or one port on the right-hand side below the pedals, depending on the model. If you are experiencing screen issues, check to see that those connectors are also plugged in correctly.
How to Restart Your Peloton Bike or Bike+ if the Screen Stops Working
If you are using your Peloton Bike or Bike+ and the screen stops working, you may need to restart the bike to get the screen to turn on again.
- First, press the power button for 5 seconds and make sure the bike is off or, more accurately, in sleep mode.
- Unplug your Peloton bike.
- Wait for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Plug the Peloton bike back into the power supply.
- Push the button on the back of the monitor to restart the bike.
How to Perform a Factory Reset on Your Peloton Bike
If everything else fails, you may want to perform a factory reset. However, this will permanently erase all of the data on your Peloton, so only do this if you absolutely have to.
- Unplug all of the cables from the Peloton bike and make sure they are clean.
- Wait 30 to 40 seconds.
- Reconnect all of the cables that you previously disconnected.
- Restart the Peloton screen while holding in the volume up and the power button.
- Use the volume buttons to select “recovery” from the list.
- The screen will go dark and then reboot with the Peloton logo.
- Press the volume and power buttons simultaneously until a list of options appear.
- This time, select factory reset.
- Press the power button.
- When a pop-up window appears, select yes by using the volume up button.
- The Peloton bike should be reset and will now load the system.
- You can now sign in to your account or create a new one.
Protect Your Peloton Bike and Bike+ from Electrical Damage
Your Peloton bike may have been damaged if you recently had a power outage or surge. You can use a surge protector with your bike to prevent this from happening. You may also want to unplug your Peloton bike during thunderstorms when power outages are likely.
When All Else Fails to Get Your Peloton Bike or Bike+ Running Again
If you’ve tried all of the above fixes and your Peloton bike still won’t turn on, it might have a serious issue that needs to be fixed by the company. You can contact Peloton directly in a number of different ways.
Visit https://www.onepeloton.com/company/contact and select live chat to communicate with Peloton online. You can also call Peloton customer service at 1-866-679-9129. In addition, you can reach Peloton by email at [email protected]. Finally, you can find and visit a Peloton showroom if you prefer.
Should I turn off my Peloton bike when I’m not using it?
No, it isn’t necessary to turn off your Peloton bike when you aren’t using it. The only means of completely turning it off is to unplug it, and you are actually better off leaving it plugged in. After 20 minutes of inactivity, the bike will go into sleep mode. Keeping it in sleep mode means that the bike can update its software overnight while you are not using it. In addition, it will reboot faster from sleep mode than if you were to unplug it entirely.
Can I ride my Peloton with it turned off?
Technically, yes, you should be able to ride your Peloton bike with the power off, just as you would a traditional stationary bike. However, without the power, you won’t be able to access any of the subscription services. Additionally, with the standard Peloton model, you should be able to increase or reduce resistance by turning the resistance dial.